Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Strawberry and Cucumber Salad



My assistantship supervisor, Liz, just left UGA for a fantastic new adventure.  While we're all sad to see her go, we definitely enjoyed benefiting from her cleaning out her apartment kitchen to move!  She gave me this lovely set of black cherry balsamic vinegar and persian lime olive oil from her home state of Maine.  The first thing I thought when I saw the vinegar was that I needed to pair it with strawberries.  This is a refreshing and light spring and summer salad that will be delicious with either black cherry or regular balsamic vinegar.



First I peeled the cucumber, sliced it lengthwise, and used a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Then I sliced the cucumber into little crescents, quartered the strawberries, and julienned the fresh mint.  I combined all of those ingredients in a bowl with balsamic vinegar, honey, and a little bit of salt.  You can serve it immediately, or let it marinade for a little while.  



After I put it together I realized it was a perfect salad to honor Liz since her favorite colors are pink and green!  The red strawberries are close enough, right?  Thanks for the wonderful gift, Liz, and good luck in the future!

Strawberry and Cucumber Salad

Ingredients

  • 16 oz. strawberries
  • 1 small cucumber
  • 2 tbsp. fresh mint
  • 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Instructions
  1. Peel skin off the cucumber, slice it lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds.  Then chop the cucumber into crescents.
  2. Quarter or halve the strawberries, depending on how large they are
  3. Julienne the mint leaves
  4. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix

No comments:

Post a Comment