Sunday, October 5, 2014

Foundations Series: What Do You Want to Learn?


I've realized that my biggest blind spot as a blogger is that I'm a pretty good cook.  A conversation earlier this semester with my friend and cohort mate Cody got me thinking about some more ideas for the blog.  Cody suggested I start a foundational series where I can address the basics of cooking and offer some accessible stepping stone recipes for beginner cooks.  I'm imagining this as being the Evans, Forney, Guido, Patton, and Renn (2010) of cooking - a overview of some basic and foundational cooking skills.

I took some of Cody's suggestions and starting brainstorming my own and came up with this  list:
  • Roasting (vegetables and poultry)
  • Sauces (bechamel, mornay, gravy, tomato, making a roux)
  • Eggs
  • Knife skills and cutting techniques (julienne, dice, chop, etc.)
  • Grains (rice, couscous, quinoa, bulgar, etc.) 

What foundational elements am I missing?  What basic recipes would you like to see? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment